Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bingo

Most of you who know me know that I quite opinionated. I have an opinion on most everything! And now I have an opinion on Bingo. You may be wondering what I know about bingo, and you may be surprised that I have actually attended bingo. Last weekend I attended my first bingo night, not to play, but to help work it. Bingo is a huge fundraiser for our sports team, and as a coach, I need to help out. I didn't really know what to expect. I was shocked by how much money people spent at bingo. People were spending hundreds of dollars on instant tickets, much like instant lottery tickets. Apparently, this is where the school makes the most money. I was even more shocked by the number of poor people spent so much money. I felt awful watching these people place their money and more importantly their hope in luck. Their thinking about money and how to improve their situation is all wrong. I did not want to have any part of taking their money even if it was for a good cause. Last week was my first and last time to work a bingo game and to accept the proceeds. I don't believe bingo is wrong if you have the money and want to have a good time occasionally. I just don't want to take money from people who don't have the money, who do it regularly, and place their hope in luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment