Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Light in Darkness



Darkness encamps around us.  The earth is moaning full of destruction, disease, and death. 

Hamas and Israel war and Palestinians and Israelis die, ISIS beheads children and buries people alive, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and Syrians barely survive in refugee camps, others journey through the desert or hole up on the top of a mountain in pursuit of safety, airplanes are blown out of the sky, Russia is stealing land from Ukraine and more death, more destruction and then Ebola brings Africans to death’s door and the list goes on of the number of people around the world who need to know they are not forgotten, who need a life-line, who need a rescuer.

My heart aches and I watch and I pray.

As I pray, with few words because what does one really say when death and destruction abound, I hear these words over and over again…

The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it.  John 1: 5

In the midst of all the evil, the darkness, God’s goodness, His light, is there even when it is difficult to see.  Sometimes His light seems small or comes in unexpected ways or in unexpected places.  You know, Jesus, the light of the world, was just a glimmer when he first arrived in Mary’s womb.

When evil encamps and surrounds we can take heart because Jesus is present. 

Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
    
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.

I will strengthen you and help you.
    
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
“See, all your angry enemies lie there,
 confused and humiliated.
Anyone who opposes you will die 
and come to nothing.
You will look in vain
 for those who tried to conquer you.
 Those who attack you
will come to nothing.
For I hold you by your right hand— I, the Lord your God.
And I say to you, ‘Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you.
Though you are a lowly worm, O Jacob,
don’t be afraid, people of Israel, for I will help you.

I am the Lord, your Redeemer.
I am the Holy One of Israel. 
Isaiah 41:10-14

When evil seems to be prevailing in this perpetual battle of good versus evil, we can be encouraged because He who is in us and all around us is greater than he who is in the world. This is also when we need to walk by faith.  And faith comes by hearing, hearing the word.  And what I hear from the word of God is He wins.  He has the victory.

In the darkness I see light. 

This summer in the mountains of Ukraine teenagers saw the light at English and music camps.  They found hope in the darkness.  They found their rescuer.  They know they are not forgotten.  And they have a reason to sing.

Fusion New Life Lviv's Follow-Up Culmination JV Upside Down 2014 from KristineLynn Williams on Vimeo.



This video may not go viral on You Tube, but the news of these young people believing in Jesus makes Heavenly Headlines.

May I encourage you that as we pray for the persecuted, displaced, dying and sick, may we pray that all of us will see His light shining through the darkness?


*Friends, Ben and Kristy Williams, are seeing God do a great work in the young people of Ukraine.  You can see more light at www.benandkristy.com



No comments:

Post a Comment