Friday, May 16, 2014

Three Little Birds



(credit)

The sun was beginning to pull back the covers and I was happy to still be under mine.  No children were moving or calling my name.  Silence.  Enough silence so I could hear the birds singing.  Loudly.  The number of singers and their ability to belt various tunes amazed me.  Then a familiar tune began to play in my mind. 

Don’t worry 'bout a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be all right. 

Bob Marley. Three Little Birds. 

Yes, in the stillness of early morning dawn I want to join the birds in their carefree, worry free melodies.  Then another verse plays…

Look at the birds in the air.  They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, but your heavenly father feeds them.  And you know that you are worth much more than the birds.  You can’t add any time to your life by worrying about it.

Jesus.  Matthew 6:26-27

Yes, three little birds you are welcome to sit on my doorstep and sing to me, to encourage me to not worry.  Yes, remind me every little thing is gonna be all right.  Worrying doesn’t add anything to my life.  Worry only steals time.

Birds singing, open windows, and Bob Marley evoke images of summer and for kids and teachers (me!) summer equals carefree. Oh I’m counting down the days until the last bell rings and I am free from the daily school grind. But I don’t have to wait until summer to be without cares and in reality summer brings me different concerns.  I can choose to be carefree today.  The birds, Bob Marley, and Jesus remind me of this truth as I lie still under the covers.  Before the sun fully wakes and my feet hit the floor running, running for my coffee cup, I can give all my worries and cares to God, for he cares for me (1 Peter 5:7).

May I encourage you on these rare mornings when all is silent in the house to pause and listen to the birds?  They have a message for you: don’t worry about a thing give all your cares to God and He will make every little thing all right because he cares for you and you are worth more than the birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment