Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Widow's Gift


As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”  Luke 21:1-4

He noticed her among all the teachers, students, and wealthy men and he approved of her gift.  The widow, the poor one, who gave all she had with no prospect of getting any more. Yet, she gave. She gave out of her poverty, meaning her lack, her need. She gave two minas, the smallest piece of money of this time, like a penny today.  She gave two pennies and this is ALL she had.  She gave it ALL, all two pennies, all two minas.  What can one do with two pennies?  She was in poverty, in need, in a state of lack.   What compelled her to do this?  Why does one give one’s entire livelihood, one’s life? She had to have loved God because who gives all she has to live on, her life, to one she does not love and trust.  Did she believe her God would meet all her needs?  Did she remember how He fed the Israelites daily for forty years in the desert with sweet bread, manna? 

I have not need of anything, but I have want of it all.  I want to keep, keep it all, for there may be a need of it in a day ahead.  A day I have been stocking up for.  This day may never come and I am too full needing room to breathe.  Yet, I stuff and stuff.  It is time to loosen the grip, to give, and to breathe easy in his love.  There is no need to keep when Jesus promises to give his daily bread, his manna.  He has promised to give me what I need, though I may not recognize it and say what is it?

He says to not store up my treasures here on Earth, for where my treasures are there my heart is.  There my love is.  There my trust is.  Will I trust Him to meet my daily needs, to give me my daily bread?

No comments:

Post a Comment