Friday, January 06, 2012

On the Treadmill


They say that fear is paralyzing.  I’m not sure who “they” are, but I think I disagree with” they.” Recently, I was contemplating making some changes in my life and as I was processing I kept saying “what if.”  Not just “what if”, rather, “But, what if”.  What a combination! “But” to signify my excuse and “what if” to signify my fear.  As I mulled over the possible change, I considered all my fears.   So began my work out on the treadmill powered by “but” and “what if.”  My fear wasn’t paralyzing me.  When I think of being paralyzed I think of being motionless.  My fear was moving me.  It was driving me crazy, and my husband was reluctantly along for the ride.  On this treadmill my mind was racing with all my questions and possible scenarios for the future.  Just like when working out on a treadmill, when I run with fear, I get tired but I have not gotten anywhere. 

For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. -Romans 8:15

I don’t want to be a slave to the treadmill of “but” and “what if”; I want to get somewhere.  I want to accept the Spirit of sonship that I have been given and take my father’s hand to follow his lead.  I want to practice what my father says in Matthew 6:34: 

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own. 

I also want to walk the path of Proverbs 3: 5-6:
 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
      do not depend on your own understanding.
  Seek his will in all you do,
      and he will show you which path to take.

I will leave you with Romans 8:15 as is stated in The Message. 

This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It's adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike "What's next, Papa?"

So I say, Meredith, get off the treadmill and get into the race.
What’s next, Papa?!

No comments:

Post a Comment