Monday, February 01, 2010

My thoughts on Meredith's ethnic identity crisis

When Meredith first told me that story, I went on quite the rant about the ridiculous levels to which we have taken political correctness in this country.  I will spare you the details of what I said.  I really can't remember much about what I said anyway.  The only thing I do remember is deciding that I would like, from now on when I fill out anything requiring me to state my ethnicity, to fill in the "Other" blank with the word "Earthling".  I probably won't of course, but I really do want to be that ornery.
The whole thing reminded me, though, of something the Lord really impressed on me back in the summer of '08 while we were in Croatia. As Christians really pursuing the Lord, we need to understand that like Abraham we are strangers in this land where we are dwelling.  Our citizenship on earth is defined by our country.  Our ethnicity defined by a combination of things, skin color mostly.  But our identity should first be defined as citizens of God's kingdom.  Our strongest ties should always be to our Lord, our God, our Savior.
So perhaps from now on I'll identify myself as Chinese Christian Brother Yun did when he was taken prisoner.  "I am a heavenly man!"

No comments:

Post a Comment