Friday, March 28, 2014

The Source of Hope


May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.  Romans 15:13

These words from Paul have been in my mind and my prayers for quite some time.  It makes me shout yes, yes I want peace and joy.  Yes, I want to be filled with it.  As I was reading it recently the word hope was highlighted on the page and got me thinking.  May the God of hope…

God is the only hope in this world.  No matter how desperate, how poor, how dangerous, how complex, how corrupt the situation is, He is the source of all hope.

Several years ago I wasn’t sure I believed this truth.  I wasn’t sure if I could tell others who found themselves in trying life situations about the hope he offers.  But, now.  Now, after some trials and tests that left me in a place of acknowledging that jobs, doctors, or leaders can’t offer me hope to improve my life circumstances, I believe God is the God of hope. 

Only God can save his people, provide for all our needs, and solve all the problems in this world.  However, this hope isn’t just in God’s ability to change our circumstances and make our lives more comfortable.  Rather, it is the confidence that He is I Am, the Alpha and Omega, the good shepherd, the savior, the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings and the only way to eternal salvation.  He is who he says he is.  He does what he says he will do. 

The chaos of this world will continue.  Jesus said:
“When you hear of wars and rumored wars, keep your head and don’t panic. This is routine history, and no sign of the end. Nation will fight nation and ruler fight ruler, over and over. Earthquakes will occur in various places. There will be famines. But these things are nothing compared to what’s coming.”  Mark 13: 7-9

How can we have hope in the midst of all this?  Why should we have hope? 

Because Jesus says in this world we will have many trials but we can have hope because he has overcome.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

Because we are in a war and he as given us all we need for battle.

Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. Ephesians 6:11

Because our present day troubles are nothing compared to the glory in heaven.

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. Romans 8:18

Because one day the fighting will end and all people will fall to their knees in surrender to Jesus he wins.  He Wins!

that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2:10-11

There is our hope. There it is.  He wins! All the battles, all the beatings, all the wounds, all the tears, will be worth it because through Christ we win.

for every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith. And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.  1 John 5:4-5

He wears the victor’s crown.

Lord, God of Hope, fill us with all joy and peace as we expectantly wait to join you for all eternity in heaven.  May this hope, through the power of the Holy Spirit, overflow in us.  May we be ready to give a reason for the hope flowing from us.  May the joy of the Lord and the salvation he freely gives be our strength.  Thank you for being our hope!

Heaven awaits us.

Oh, yeah, and this is on repeat...

No comments:

Post a Comment