Tuesday, February 07, 2012

He Will Fight for Me


I’m a fighter.  I think I was born this way.  As a little girl I remember speaking up to authority in matters of injustice.  I was not intimidated by many.  My voice was loud and strong in that little body.  As I grew to a young woman, one could hear the clicking of my high heels on the pavement as I marched to battle.  Our culture teaches us to fight our own battles.  It screams stand up for your rights.  If you have been wronged, then do something about it.  A good fight is honored in our society.

Currently this fighter has been in a long battle, a battle where I have to learn to fight differently.   My arms are tied behind my back and my mouth is taped shut.  I feel attacked with no defense.  I want justice, but feel helpless.  How do I defend myself?  How do I fight? 

First, I don’t defend myself.  That’s God’s job.  But…but..I want to defend myself.  I want to speak.  If I am honest I even want to be the one to punish my attackers.   God says, NO, I’ll take care of that.


All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.  1 Samuel 17: 47

 He said, “Listen, all you people of Judah and Jerusalem! Listen, King Jehoshaphat! This is what the LORD says: Do not be afraid! Don’t be discouraged by this mighty army, for the battle is not yours, but God’sTomorrow, march out against them. You will find them coming up through the ascent of Ziz at the end of the valley that opens into the wilderness of Jeruel.  But you will not even need to fight. Take your positions; then stand still and watch the LORD’s victory. He is with you, O people of Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Go out against them tomorrow, for the LORD is with you!” 2 Chronicles 20:15-17

The God who holds all the power says he will fight my battles.  He says to not be afraid or discouraged.  Did you notice how he told his people to go out against the enemy tomorrow, to go to the battle?  Each day we must go to the battle trusting God to fight for us.

He even promises to avenge the wrong doings.

“No weapon that is formed against you will prosper;
And every tongue that
accuses you in judgment you will condemn.
This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD,
And their vindication is from Me,” declares the LORD.  Isaiah 54:17


 It is mine to avenge; I will repay.
 In due time their foot will slip;
their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them.”  Deuteronomy 32:35


Those who are attacking me and those who are permitting the attacks do not know who they are messing with.  It is not me that they need to fear, but it is Almighty God.  I am His child and My Father promises to take care of those who harm his children.  

Second, I do fight, but not the way the world fights.  Love and praise are my weapons.  I forgive my enemy.  I serve my enemy.  I love my enemy.  I praise God.  I love God.  I speak God’s word.  I trust God.  That’s how I fight.  That is how I march into the victory that is already mine.  
 
May God’s words help you in the battles you are facing. 

Remember, You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.  1 John 4: 4

I’ll leave you with some battle songs.  I am so grateful for my worship leader who shares such powerful songs.



No comments:

Post a Comment